Check out my Photo Gallery located below


Home Free

First of all, thank you so much to those of you who donated to my trip to Kenya. It has truly changed me and you played a big part in that.

Second, I want to thank Peter for his asking me to go with him to Kenya. I consider Pete a good friend, the discussions and interactions along with his servant heart have made that friendship even better. Thanks Pete.

We arrived home Friday afternoon and I saw Julie for the first time in almost 4 weeks. One of the best things about my marriage is that Julie and I truly understand each other. She and I have experienced so many life-changing things together, it is truly a blessing for my life.

As I sit here contemplating what has happened over the last two weeks I am in awe. In awe of the Lord, how He works in the lives of His children, the beauty He has created, how He blesses His children with the opportunity to understand Him better, and how He loves me no matter how ignorant I am.

I have been to many countries, on many mission trips, but this one has affected me in ways I didn't think it would. After much detoxation with Julie I've come to the conclusion that its because I lived with the people I was affecting and who were affecting me. Never before have I communed so closely with those I came to love. Don't get me wrong, I have come to love those I've served in the past, but its hard to love and build connection when you are staying at the Holiday Inn.

I played with the children, ate with the children, sang with the children, danced with the children. Nothing else could have made that lasting impression on me, nothing.

Our team has had many discussion about what we've seen, felt, heard, smelled, experienced. Biblical examples have come to mind as well. I have noted Peter's blog in previous posts, I take that liberty again:
As many of us were exposed to issues like the ones we saw in Kenya and do not know how to respond, the stories of Levi(Matthew) and Zacchaeus come to mind. One left his position as a tax collector and everything else to follow Jesus. One became a different type of tax collector. We are definitely called to one of these things as we seek to earnestly follow Jesus. It was beautiful to see Fred, Michael and Sandy as they had followed God’s calling to leave everything behind to follow Jesus. It was equally as beautiful to watch the people who come to Kenya with me try to figure out how they would go about their lives back home changed to reflect what they had been impacted by in Kenya.

Christianity is a journey, I feel I have moved along steadily due to this trip. I am reading The Irresistable Revolution to compliment my trip. This book is shaking my realm of reality. The whole of the book is living simply: being responsible with the world God has entrusted to us, loving ourselves, loving each other.

Since it was hard to update with pictures, I have placed them in a slideshow at the bottom of the page.

One of the connections I made while I was there was with JoeConn. I helped JoeConn take pictures, his pictures are titled among the rest as "JoeConn Series." I have also included a portrait I took of JoeConn.

I am still processing what I've experienced, God is still speaking to me. As these revelations become clear I will post them here. I ask you to return and I pray you will understand my words, possibly be inspired yourself.

Labels:

2 Responses to “Home Free”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Andrew,
    I haven't had the time to sit down and read everything yet as I am still trying to unpack and I wanted to wait untll I had adequite time to spend. But I couldn't wait to see your pictures. They are priceless! As I sat in church this morning I thought of how different it was from the service we were in last Sunday as far as the surroundings but we were still worshipping the same amazing God. My heart ached a little from realizing how much I miss everyone. The picture of JoeConn is beautiful. You are so talented!
    Sherry  

  2. # Blogger Whitney

    I had read some as we wrote our posts together and, of course, heard you talk about a lot of this, but I thoroughly enjoyed sitting down and reading this entire journey from your perspective.

    Peter  

Post a Comment