Check out my Photo Gallery located below


The formality of it all...

What an amazing last two days. Just when I thought I had learned what I came here to learn, saw what I came to see, and heard God’s voice among the people here, God opened my eyes to more of His glory.

The single most heartfelt moment I’ve had here happened before dinner yesterday: I should preface that everything here is formal. There is a ceremony for anything we do. We have “presented” beds to widows, “dedicated” new homes, etc. This is just the way of life in Kenya.

We got the group together and went to the clinic to plant some memorial trees, in honor of people from Fellowship North who have passed and had a part in the support of Kenya Relief. It was wonderful to be able to celebrate the lives and impact these people had on the members of our group who knew them and how we know they would be honored by having these trees planted for them. Pastor Fred has ordered plaques for all of the trees to be placed by them in a few weeks.

On the way to the last tree, Peter handed me the last tree and told me it was for my grandparents who passed in January. I almost began to cry on the spot. It was so tough for me to contain my sorrow, joy, grief, and appreciation.

We went through the formality of dedicating it and then prayed for the families of the people we honored. The team headed back to dinner and I walked back alone. I was so touched by this simple act, I wept.

I believe this was God’s way of saying: “Never forget them. They were amazing children of mine. They are so proud of you, they approve your life and the way you serve Me.” I am still in a state of gratitude because of that tree.

Around the compound, we’ve nearly finished all the aesthetics. Last night, we let all the children help us with the final touches of painting in their dorms. The head boy, Shadrach, came and told us how proud everyone was. He told us that as head boy, he intended to keep it very clean and never let the boys forget us, and what the colors on the walls meant to them as Kenyans (we used the colors of the flag to decorate the boy’s dorm).

We just left a devotional with all the children. Their voices are so beautiful. We hung around for a few minutes after and taught the kids “Big House.” They were so excited to learn a new song.

All we do here is for the children. Even though we are here for a short time, the work is hard; the children make it all worth it.

This experience has been so much better than I could have asked for. God is good, Amen.

Labels:

0 Responses to “The formality of it all...”

Post a Comment